This is Introduction to Python Programming. It is also a high-level, object-oriented programming language. Python is also a general-purpose, interpreted programming language the is designed to be very easy to learn without prior programming knowledge.
The Programming Language Python supports both structured and functional programming and can also be used as a scripting language.
History of Python Programming Language
Python Programming Language was created by a Dutch Programmer, Guido Van Rossum and released in 1991. It was created to succeed the ABC language
Python 2.0 was released in October 16, 2000 and includes new features like support for Unicode and garbage collection
Python 3.0 was released in December 3, 2008 and contains additional features but remained backwards compatible with Python 2.0.
Compared to C++ and Java, Python is in between. This is because takes the functionalities of both languages.
Features of Python Language
An Object Oriented Programming(OOP) Language: Python competes with other OOP languages including C++ and Java. As such, you can easily create classes and objects in Python
An Interpreted Language: Unlike compiled languages, Python codes you write are processed/interpreted at runtime, statement by statement. This is the same with languages like PHP and Ruby.
An Interactive Language: This means that you can enter Python commands in the Python command prompt and have the command executed.
A General-Purpose Language: Python can be used for a variety of programming application. From building of standalone applications to web and mobile apps and games
Automatic Garbage Collection: Python supports automatic garbage collection. Therefore, the objects are destroyed as soon as they go out of scope.
Dynamic Type Checking: Variables in Python need not be declared before used. The Python interpreter determines the variable type.
Integration with other languages: Python can easily be integrated with other programming languages such as C++, C, Java and Corba
Benefits of Python
Python programming language has the following benefits which makes is one of the best languages for beginner programmers.
- Portability – This means that program written in Python can run on different operating systems. It can also run across a wide range of hardware.
- Graphical User Interface – Python can be used to develop GUI-based applications that can run on Windows, Mac and Linux.
- Database Integration – Python provides functionality to for connection to various database systems
- Easy to Learn – Python has a very simple structure and the syntax are clearly defined. This makes it possible to learn in a very short time
- Highly Readable – Python programs can be read and understood by other programmers and some non-programmers
- Can be Extended – Python allows for addition of modules to the Python interpreter to perform additional tasks.